Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wedding Weekend

Jim and i just returned from a road trip to Gettysburg.
Tom and Martha's youngest child, Courtney and her long time partner Rob, were married on Sunday 10/10/10.
It was unseasonably warm for October, and a lovely drive north, but there still wasn't much fall color, even in PA.
Most of the guests and wedding party stayed at the Gettysburg Hotel, which is an Historic Hotel on the site of a tavern dating back to 1753, and within eye range of Will House where Abraham Lincoln wrote the Gettysberg Address.
When we were checking out, I was standing on the porch with our luggage waiting for Jim to bring the car around and eavesdropped on a tour guide for a few minutes.
I learned that RE Lee brought the war North to show the European countries that they were indeed a separate nation, and also to relieve the South of the ravages they were suffering at the time. I wish we had another day to spend revisiting the area.
History has become more meaingful to me as I have grown older.
The reception was good, great DJ, and Jim even danced. with me. I think he enjoyed himself and loosened up a little.
On the drive home, we stopped at G&M for lunch. Yummy.
It was nice to get away!

No comments: