Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Memories of Dad

For some unknown reason, I've had Dad on my mind. It may be the coming of Spring and the thought of planting vegetable and herb seeds once again, watching the daffodil and crocus poke cautiously through the winter soil .
Maybe it's the unanswered question of how he would react to the New President, would he still be Archie Bunker or could he get past that?
It could be the mention of programs to get people back to work It reminds me of his own experience in the CCC which gave him hope in his youth. I think he would approve if he truly understood that we are getting back to basics.
The last time I saw him alive I think we both knew it. He was in the hospital in Baltimore and I was leaving to return to Delaware, . He was in good humor and when the nurse addressed him "Hey good lookin"" He responded "Whatcha got cookin" in that silly way of his that was endearing
We looked at each other for a very long time, like he was trying to take it all in and hold it forever.
I hesitated several time before finally departing, and I think I cried all the way home
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Wardells said...

Aww Leslie, what a poignant recollection. Maybe Henry is reaching out because Gabe was thinking about him too. We now have a collection of baby food jars and Gabe told me how Henry would nail the lids under the cabinet and screw the jars on:-)

Paula said...

That was such a thoughtful post, Leslie. I'm familiar with that long and deep look, as if to bottle up all the great times and forgive/forget all the bad, in that single gaze. What always amazes me is how the person seems so okay, so accepting, of his/her fate and able to truly appreciate the significance of that moment.

Paula said...

Oh, and by the way, my Daffodils are flowering. Watching them break through the tough soil always brings me hope.

C0c0nuts said...

I lost my dad 10 years ago. I am in a death and dying class right now, and writing about your dad is all part of greiving. Unfortunatley it will never go away. Just another reason to treasure our elders while they are still here!!