Thursday, August 14, 2008

Missed Shot

I never seem to have my camera handy when a good shot becomes available. When we drove up to the house on Sunday night, Mouse and Lulu were sitting in the office window side by side, What they were looking at were at least 7 hummingbirds hovering over the four o clocks outside. The bright yellow and fuscia blooms really attract them, and as messy and pushy as the plants are, I love that they are sought out by the birds and the bees, and the butterflies. They only open at night, or at least when the sun is not bright so in the mornings when it is shady on the patio, they are very vibrant.




Charles finally got the lawn cut and weeded the veggie garden which was looking like a jungle. We've had some good luck with cukes and peppers, but the tomatoes are absolutely pitiful. We have a few eggplant that are doing OK. George was having the same problem with his garden except his tomatoes looked much better than ours. His garden is always so neat, all in rows.


I enjoyed sitting in their screened in porch where we had dinner and spent the evening. I wish we could put one where our porch is outside the TV room. I'm sure we would use it much more than the patio. It is so much closer to the kitchen, and no flies!!


I don't know what I am going to do today. I feel like sitting in the sun and reading, but there is always so much that needs to be done, cleaned, raked, weeded, cooked, washed etc. that I feel guilty. That's why vacations were invented, so that all the chores disappear from view. Hopefully we will find a way to get away this winter. I am looking forward to my trip to Atlanta and reading there, not to mention playing with the new baby. Last time I finished 2 books and started 1.




Speaking of books, my club starts up again in Sept. after the parking meters come down in Bethany. I haven't gotten far into the new book, ANIMAL,VEGETABLE , MIRACLE. So far it is quite eye opening and should inspire a lively discussion.
BTW, the Smithsonian trip, John Wilkes Boothe escape route, was sold out and David and I are really bummed. Sue has us on a wait list so there may be a chance if someone cancels.I was looking forward to it.

No comments: