Monday, January 16, 2012

Black and Purple

I had such a great day yesterday! Jim and I went to Bob and Jackie's to watch the Ravens Game.
The game itself was somewhat disappointing but we WON so that is the important thing. It was just fun to experience the game with other people.
Jackie said Bob had left the Christmas decorations up so we could enjoy them.
They have a very pretty house in Rehoboth with a lot of space. The tree was in the Living room and had a set of American Flyer trains at the base. Every time the Ravens scored Bob turned it on and gave it 1 turn around the track and blew the whistle Whooo Whooo....

We were home by 6 so we had the evening to ourselves. Jim continued watching the next game and I sought out something else to watch.
"Calamity Jane" with Doris Day was streaming on Netflix. That is the first movie I ever remember seeing as a family at the Avenue theater on Milton Avenue. I had to be 5 or 6 but it had such an impact on me. I wanted to be Doris Day and sing. For years I waited for it to come on TV.
I think I loved it because my Father did. He was not a movie goer but for some reason he chose this one. He also commented on how pretty she was, and how nice her teeth were. (He had a thing about teeth)
In my memory, this is the only time we ever went to a theater. Later, when we moved to Parkville, we would occasionally go to the drive-in, maybe once a year.
My Brother and I saw many movies at the Avenue that I fully recall, Moulon Rouge, The War of the Worlds, and Houdini with Tony Curtis, which I sat through twice so that my parents actually had to come to the theater and get the usher to find me. We moved when I was seven so all of these memories are prior to that.
I was sheer joy to watch it again, as dumb as it was.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I've never seen Calamity Jane. Loved the movies you mentioned. Glad you guys had a good time watching the game. It was a great game! Go Ravens!