Sunday, July 6, 2008

Shower Poop and Thoughts

Good Morning,


I am actually starting to feel normal again, knock on wood. I spent most of yesterday sorting food out in the fridge and putting stuff back from the shower.


I will send pictures when I get them. Namu's husband was kind enough to be the official photographer and he was very paparazzi like... Lots of candid shots and maneuvering, Plus he gets Kudos for being brave enough to attend a co-ed baby shower


Namu came up with some fun games. One was to smell *loaded* baby diapers, 1-4 and try to guess what the kid had eaten. Fortunately it was predigested so it was more pleasant than the real thing. Trin will have to practice on her gag reflex, although having cats is very good training.


One of the other games was to guess her width using lengths of toilet tissue. I came in second as I measured myself and added a sheet :-).


We had tons of food. Aunt Sue had enhanced the menu a bit with some cocktail shrimp and munchies. I brought an extra smoked salmon spread and some deviled eggs.


We had a zucchini /tomato quiche, a lorraine with bacon ( I was originally going to use Spam as an Hawaiian inside joke) a spinach pie and crab souffle along with spiral glazed ham, fresh baked biscuits, mini muffins, mini bagels and a truly delicious watermelon basket, As a last minute thought, I decided to make some mini cinnamon buns which are usually quite successful, but this attempt did not survive the time travel and were more like glazed hockey pucks. No one missed them at all.


Namu brought the cake which had slid off in the box, but was rescued by yours truly who has performed many a cake emergency surgery. It was absolutely delicious and I am still munching on it.


The best part, of course, was the company and it was such a joy to see so many familiar faces from the wedding and prior shower. Skizz and Jen, Michael Bradley, Beth and Christine, Gina, Namu of course and her sister Ranju, Karina, and Kitty, and new faces like Nikail and Jill Wardell. I am truly sorry that Zak and Tessa , and Rob and John, couldn't be there to share in this event hosted by Uncle David and Aunt Sue. There was lots of chatter and interaction. I think I even saw Ranju and Jill exchange phone numbers.


Seeing Kitty again was really fun. We hadn't talked for years, and I feel like we have opened a door. She misses family also so we have a lot to discuss, plus the many memories we have shared.


I've always thought that one of the hardest things about divorce or even breaking up with a long time companion is leaving all the family and friends behind. It's not as final as a death, of course, but is equally painful knowing that they are still around but out of reach. When I look through my old photos I see fragments of my life, some longer than others, that are totally gone except in the pictures. I think that Kitty and I will stay in touch now.

Ah, Jim is back from the store with the Sunday paper. My favorite part of Sunday is doing the crossword and watching Lifetime movies or Law and Order marathons on my little TV while he watches sports, sports, sports on the big screen.

He also bought some some chicken as I have this Norman Rockwell idea that Sunday dinner should always be fried chicken with mashed potatoes and corn. I realy am a true American.

Usually Mouse climbs up and sreads herself out on the paper whenever I sit down, or else sits in my chair when I go for coffee or something. I don't know what today will be like with that crazy Beau around. He has 2 speeds, fast and pass out. hope it is time for the latter.

Ciao

1 comment:

The Wardells said...

Leslie, thank you so much for the wonderful food and the thought you put into everything. You looked adorable in your red, white and blue!

It was nice seeing everyone too, and Gabe and I can't thank you enough for thinking up and planning the shower, especially when you were so sick.

You're the best, and I love this blog!