Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mirrors and Back to School

Good Morning,

I thought I'd take a break from the tag questions and just chat. I am having one of those mornings where I just hate everything, like mirrors.I showered and washed my hair before going to bed last night and today my hair looks just like my mothers flat wig. Definitely time for color and cut, and definitely product. Help!

Any way, I think once you hit 55+ all mirrors should be banished. I can be feeling really energetic and creative, then catch a glimpse of myself and jump...who is that old person, and why is she wearing my clothes? Suddenly I *Feel my Age*. OK, I admit that I do have aches and pains especially where I broke my leg, but on the inside I, in my soul and heart, I still feel young and inquisitive. I don't have all the answers, just some experience

I guess I believe that everyone is my age, and I am everyone Else's, be it 18 or 80. I've always thought I adapt well. Unfortunately I have encountered people who just don't get it. They usually don't like me or trust me. They don't realize my *genuineness* because they judge me by their own values. I try not to let it bother me but alas, I am also very fragile by nature and still don't understand why you can't win them all.

Another thing that is disturbing me is that I saw my first BACK TO SCHOOL AD. C'mon, it's only July. Give the kids a break.

I've always loved summer as you know, barefoot lazy carefree days, late bedtimes, sleeping in, vacations at the shore and later the ocean, swimming pools and of course steamed crabs. But in August, when the slant of the sun started changing, and the shadows growing longer I could feel it coming....the end.Then came the Ads...new notebooks, paper, lunch boxes.

As an adult I have come full circle in my feelings .

Once I had my own kids, the beginning of school was a relief, some structure, some free time and as a single working Mom, no more daytime baby sitting worries.

Then the boys went away to Andover at 14.

I felt the sadness again. The house would be empty and dark when I came home The drive up to the school in the fall was always bittersweet..

Now that I am older, I still feel the loss of summer but I've learned appreciate the Fall for the colors and the clean fresh air. Also since living at the beach the Fall means fewer tourists, less traffic and noise. And that's a good thing.

No comments: