Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Good Morning,
It's been very hot here all week, so of course I decided to clean out some of the stuff in the garage. There is a new Goodwill Store nearby, and they assist you with drop offs, very convenient. It's been a purging experience, letting go of things that are no longer being used.
I've been thinking a lot about the new baby and remembering my first experience with a new born. I don't know if I'm unusual but once the baby came, it suddenly had nothing at all to do with that bulge in my tummy for 9 months. It had its own persona and attitude regardless of what I expected or desired. It was a separate entity, not this cute little ball that made it uncomfortable to sleep and gave me occasional heartburn. It cried, ate, pooped and slept when it wanted, not when I wanted.
Yes, Primo had colic and I was a wreck.
We had this wind up swing that would keep him quiet for about 15 minutes but once it stopped moving, the crying would start again. Even cranking the swing up would startle him awake again. I believe
this was around the time my husband invested in earphones for his stereo, a wise move.
I felt dismayed...frantic...betrayed..Where was that cute Gerber Baby? That serene Mother and child from the box of Ivory Flakes? Had I been mislead?
My Doctor assured me that it would pass, and also if he gave the baby to another caregiver it would go away completely. ( a tempting offer at the time) but I got his point. After the 3 month period, the colic subsided, the baby slept more and everything improved. So much so that when Segundo came along he was much easier to handle.
Hope you don't get this 2x. I was having trouble with the laptop.

1 comment:

The Wardells said...

Gabe always brags about what an easy baby he was. Hard for me to believe! I'm already anticipating that this baby is going to be a handful like his daddy!